From the Exhibitor Handbook:
POULTRY EXHIBITOR'S RESPONSIBILITIES
WHAT YOU NEED TO BRING:
- Food and water dishes
- Something to secure the feeders to the cage.
- Drug disclaimer filled out.
- Pullorum test result form
- Bring your food in a plastic bucket with lid or some type of plastic container with lid.
- Coop tags filled out
- It helps to have supplies to clean out the cage such as a dust pan and little whisk broom
- Make sure all paper work is in order. (Drug disclaimer and pullorum test results papers)
- Make sure coop tags are filled out properly. With all information filled in. Market turkeys and chickens need the cage number, leg band numbers and weight of birds filled in the coop tags. It must be filled in before going to the entry office.
- Put bedding in cages.
- Place food and water in cages and secure them to inside of cage.
- Store food and cleaning supplies under the cages.
- Have a barn volunteer check your cages and stamp entry sheet before you go to entry office. Otherwise the office help will send you back to the barn
- You don't need a BCYF entry tag. We use coop tags in the barn on all cages. Make sure they are in your cages at all times. If they get eaten by your birds get another one from Chad or Elizabeth and fill it out and replace the old one.
- Clean and water your birds daily. Any exhibitor failing to keep their cages clean will fall under the 3 Strike Rule (see page 16 of fairbook). On judging day clean first thing in the morning. If it's hot make sure your birds have water.
- All dirty bedding needs to be dumped in the manure boxes in the back of the barn. Don't throw it in the grass or in the trash cans. It's also your responsibility to help out in the barn. Take time to clean up your area and put things away.
- We can't stress enough how important it is to keep your birds watered when it's hot.
THE DAY BEFORE JUDGING:
- Wash birds. The judges prefer that you not wash the birds the day of judging. Do it the day before.
- Keep cages clean. That will help keep your birds clean.
- Pull food only the night before judging. It helps keep them clean. After judging is over you can give them food.
- Please put all towels and tubs way when finished washing birds.
TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY JUDGING DAY:
- DO NOT WASH YOUR BIRDS THE DAY OF JUDGING!!!
- Tuesday's judging starts at 9:00 am, showmanship and market classes.
- Wednesday's judging starts at 9:00 am
- Listen for your class to be called.
- Don't bother the clerks at judging tables.
- Pay attention to what is going on in the barn.
- If it's hot the day of judging, stand by your cage, but don't hold your bird or birds in a long line waiting to be judged. We will call you up a few at a time.
- Parents aren't allowed to be at the judging table with you. We will find someone to help those who need it.
- You must be present during judging of champion classes to be eligible to win.
- PLEASE WEAR YOUR EXHIBITOR TAG NUMBER ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT.
- The auction starts at 9:30 am on Thursday followed by rabbits.
- Please volunteer to be a runner at the auction.
- Have clean birds.
- Again you should take the food away the night before.
- Stay in the barn, you will be called to the auction tent.
- There are Thank You posters that are to be used. Dress them up and make them personal for your buyers. Put them up right after the auction.
- Birds will be released at 11:00 pm
- Have the proper papers if you are taking home market birds for your buyers.
- Make sure that you take everything that belongs to you. If you leave anything it becomes the property of the poultry barn.
- If you leave your birds overnight. They must be out of the barn by 9:00 am Sunday morning. Otherwise they will become the property of the barn.